In previous blog posts we have explained that burglars will often come back to the same house they have burgled before. This is because they know the insurance company have replaced your stolen goods with new ones and the burglars want these too. The burglar also knows how they broke into your property before and they will do it in the same way again. So, are you protected from a second burglary?
Having your home broken into is a horrible time for anyone. Not just financially, but mentally too. You no longer feel safe in your own home. This is why it is so important that you improve your home security to deter future criminals and stop your burglar returning.
However, many homeowners don’t. Research from Churchill Home Insurance shows the percentage of burglary victims that upgraded their home security to deter a future break-in. The research is as follows:
- 30% of homeowners added an additional lock on their front door. 29% added an additional lock on their back door. Meanwhile 20% of homeowners added an additional lock on their windows.
- 14% of homeowners has a new back door installed. 11% had a new front door installed. Meanwhile, 3% of homeowners had a new garage door installed.
- 13% of homeowners had a new home alarm installed to protect and secure their property.
- 2% of homeowners installed new security lighting around their property.
- 2% of homeowners arranged for automatic gates to be installed at the entrance / exit of their property.
Security lights, CCTV cameras and intruder alarms are what burglars hate to see most. These home security systems are what deters criminals. If a burglar returns to your home and see that you don’t have a home alarm system installed they’ll come back. Or if your old alarm system has not been repaired, they’ll try their luck again.
However, if a burglar returns to your property after breaking in the first time and sees you have installed security lighting, an intruder alarm and CCTV security cameras – they are likely to leave your home. Instead they will try somewhere else. Burglars want an easy target, and home security systems stop this.
Are you protected from a second burglary? If not, call our team. We can recommend the best home security measures for you and your home and get them installed quickly.