An experiment was recently completed by What? Car Magazine and the BBC. It looked at how quickly some well known cars could be stolen. To say that the results were worrying would be a massive understatement.
Let’s take a look at what they found;
- The DS 3 Crossback Puretech 155 Ultra Prestige was stolen in just 10 seconds. This was the quickest car theft from all the vehicles in the experiment.
- In just 30 seconds the Land Rover Discovery Sport TD4 180 HSE (2018) was stolen from the property in the experiment.
- It took just 20 seconds for the Land Rover Discover SD6 306 HSE to be stolen. However it was not possible for the vehicle to be driven away.
- In less than 10 seconds it was possible for the Audi TT RS Roadster to be stolen, but only with an active ‘smart key’.
- The Mercedes A-Class A220 AMG Line was stolen within 50 seconds. However this was one again with an active ‘smart key’.
- A car theft taking place in under one minute, the best performing cars for anti-theft and security were the Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 140 ST-Line X and the BMW X3 xDriv 20i M Sport (2018). However, once again this was only possible with the active ‘smart key’.
These results go to show just how essential a secure car park or driveway is. If your car can be stolen in a matter of seconds, you need to deter the potential car thief as quickly as possible and capture every second of evidence where possible.
We would recommend security lighting over your car. This means if a car thief was to approach your car they would be immediately lit up. The security light would alert you or neighbours, while being a deterrent to the thief.
Following on from this a high quality security camera would capture every second of the theft or attempted theft. This CCTV footage can then be used as evidence for the police, or to warn neighbours of the potential threat to their cars too.
If you would like help protecting your car from potential theft please contact our security experts now.