While it’s true that older smoke alarms will become less effective, age is not the only thing to stop smoke alarms working. Using the device improperly can also result in a malfunction before the smoke alarm is even 10 years old. In this blog post we share some top tips with you to help you get the best from your smoke detectors.
- Install smoke alarms throughout your building. You should have a smoke alarm in every room, but also just outside each room too.
- Where possible, ensure that there are smoke alarms on every level of your building.
- When installing your smoke alarms, do not install them near bathrooms, ducts, windows, stoves, etc. This will help reduce the risk of false alarms from steam, drafts or cooking smoke from these areas.
- Take the time to test your smoke alarms on a weekly basis, or monthly as a very minimum. We recommend ‘Test It Tuesday’ as a reminder to check our smoke alarm once a week on a set date.
- The batteries in your smoke alarm should be replaced semi-annually. We recommend that you change your batteries in your smoke alarm, when you change the clocks for daylight savings time. Again, it’s a good reminder.
- If your smoke alarm is giving off a chirping noise this is a low battery signal. Make sure you replace the batteries in your smoke alarm as soon as you get the alert that the batteries in the device are low.
- Dust and cobwebs in and around your smoke alarm can impair the functionality of the device. We would recommend you regularly clean the smoke alarm device and its surroundings regularly. This can be done with a duster or vacuum extension.
- Check the expiration date on your smoke alarm. When the time comes, make sure you replace the smoke alarm as soon as you can. It may be a good idea to set a note in your calendar to remind you to purchase a new smoke alarm and the date the smoke alarm needs to be replaced.
If your smoke detectors have expired, you want to get the best from your smoke detectors or would like to have your smoke alarms checked, call our team. Our fire safety experts can help you with any queries you might have.