Over the last few years there has been a real rise in the theft of catalytic converters. These catalytic converters have been on the rise across the UK and in other parts of the world too. The theft of catalytic converters is relatively easy for criminals and can easily go unnoticed. However, the damages of this crime can be extremely costly. This is why it is so important to know how to prevent catalytic converter theft.
The catalytic converter is located underneath a car. It is a component that can be found between the engine and the muffler. While it isn’t an attractive piece of equipment, it can be very valuable. The catalytic converter contains precious (and expensive) metals such as palladium, rhodium and platinum.
Let’s look at you can prevent catalytic converter theft.
- Think carefully when parking in public places. Choose a space where it is well-lit and there are more pedestrians passing by. This can work to deter potential criminals.
- It is possible to have your converter welded onto the frame of your car. The benefit of this is that it will make it more difficult for a thief to steal it.
- Secure the area where you park your car at home. If it is parked in the garage, make sure you have an intrude alarm on your garage door. Consider CCTV cameras or motion sensor security lighting to protect your car parked on the drive or outside your home.
- Have your number plate or details carved into the converter. This means if it is stolen and then found, the police will know where it came from and that it was stolen.
- Do you have a car alarm? Check that this works for people breaking into the car to steal the car, but also vibrations. This means you will know when someone is attempting to steal the catalytic converter from your car.
Need help finding the right home security to protect your car and to prevent catalytic converter theft from your vehicle? Call us now. Our home security experts can recommend the right security solutions to protect your possessions.