There is so much people do not know about a home burglary. It isn’t until it happens to you that you find out so much more. In this blog post we want to share some things that we think you should know about a burglary on a home. We want to share the details about when burglaries happen, who they happen to and the real cost of a home burglary.
When Burglaries Happen
Did you know that in 2019, according to The Eco Experts, a house burglary happens on average every 106 seconds in the UK? This adds up to over 296,000 domestic burglaries in just 12 months. Can you imagine how many lives this huge number of burglaries has affected?
Who Domestic Burglaries Happen To
Research shows that people aged between 16 and 24 years old are more likely to be burgled that any other age group. Over 60% of domestic burglaries (63% to be exact) happen to those homes that have no sign of basic security systems.
The Cost of a Home Burglary
According to the research by The Eco Experts, the average home burglary will cost £3,030 per home. This cost will include replacing stolen items, repairing the home and time taken off work to deal with the break-in to a person’s home.
So what actually happens when someone breaks in to your home? Let us share with you how break-ins happen, what items are stolen, how long they take and how many house burglars get convicted. We don’t do this to scare you. Instead we want to share everything about a house burglary so you are aware and can be prepared.
- 58% of burglars will break-in when someone is in the home. They could be sitting in front of the TV, cooking dinner or asleep in bed.
- 43% of burglars know their victim. The burglar has watched and observed them for some time. This could be a neighbour, a friend, a family neighbour or even just someone that you have seen in passing.
- 45% of the items stolen from homes by burglars include purses, wallets, money and bank cards. It is essential that you keep these items will hidden and out of view from the window or door.
- 26% of domestic burglars will use force to enter the home as well as force or violence against their victim.
- 67% of domestic burglars will break into a home through the front or back door.
- 61% of burglaries on homes last year took place between the hours of 6pm and 6am. These hours allow the burglar to work under the cover of darkness which means there is less chance of them being spotted by a neighbour or someone passing by.
- Most house burglaries will take less than 10 minutes to complete.
- 1% of all burglaries in 2019 lead to a conviction.
This research shows just how important a home security system is. Not only will it help protect you, your loved ones, your home and possessions – a good quality home security system will help gain the proof needed to secure a conviction.
If you would like a free home security review, contact our team now.