Skip to main content
Fire Safety

What Fire Extinguishers Do I Need For My Business?

By December 8, 2021No Comments

What Fire Extinguishers Do I Need For My Business?

There are different types of fire extinguishers for different types of fires. This means that the fire extinguisher you need for your business depends on your business and the products you sell. The amount of fire extinguishers you need depends on the size and layout of your business.

In this blog we look at the different types of fire extinguishers so you can understand what fire extinguishers you need for your business. The different classes of fire and the appropriate fire extinguishers needed for your office is these fires are a potential are as follows:

  • Class A Fire

A Class A fire is from solid materials such as paper, wood and textiles. For Class A fires you will need a water extinguisher. This type of fire extinguisher will have a red label on it. The water extinguisher is one of the best ways to fight a fire that has been fuelled by paper, textiles or wood.

  • Class B Fire

A Class B fire is fuelled by liquids such as petrol, diesel or oils. If you have the potential of a fire in your business from these liquids you will need to use fire extinguishers that contain foam, which have a cream label, or C02 extinguishers which has a black label. Alternatively, you could use a dry powder extinguisher on a Class B fire. This extinguisher has a blue label.

  • Class C Fire

If you store or have propane, butane or methane in your business there is the potential risk of a Class C fire. In which case you will need a foam extinguisher. This fire extinguisher has a cream label. The foam of the extinguisher prevents the flammable vapour from reaching the air. In turn, this starves the fire of fuel.

  • Class D Fire

Fires that are fuelled by metal are described as Class D fires. A powder extinguisher, which has a blue label, is best for metal fuelled fires. A powder extinguisher creates a loss of visibility and will cause breathing problems. We would recommend that this shouldn’t be used inside unless there is no other alternative, due to visibility reduction and risk of breathing problems.

  • Class E Fire

A Class E fire is fuelled by live electrical apparatus. This is an electrical fire and particularly hazardous to put out as it can’t be resolved with water. Instead, for Class E fires you should use a powder extinguisher, which has a blue label. But remember, these are not recommended for indoor use. Alternatively, you can use a C02 extinguisher which has a black label.

  • Class F Fire

If you have a kitchen within your business that has deep fat fryers or uses cooking oils. A fire created by cooking oils and deep fate fryers is classed as a Class F Fire. For this kind of fire, you will need a wet chemical extinguisher. This has a yellow label. This kind of extinguisher is extremely effective for cooking oil fires. The extinguisher quickly knocks the flames out and forms a soap-like solution. This then seals the surface and prevents the fire reigniting.

Not sure what fire extinguishers you need for your business? Call our fire safety specialists now.