Personal CCTV cameras are a great way of protecting your home, family and valuables. As a homeowner, you have the right to protect your property. This is something that personal CCTV cameras can really help with. However, it is essential that you operate your personal CCTV in a responsible way that is respectful to others’ privacy.
To ensure that your personal CCTV cameras are used effectively and respectively we have put together some points of consideration for you. These will help you consider how your personal CCTV cameras may affect others and how to avoid upsetting your neighbours.
- When choosing the position of your CCTV cameras check that they do not intrude on your neighbours’ privacy. If you feel they may then have a chat with your neighbour. You may find they are grateful for the extra level of security your CCTV cameras will offer them.
- If your personal CCTV cameras capture images outside of your home you are then subject to the Data Protection Act. This is something that you need to be aware of, but we can discuss in full detail with you.
- We would recommend that you inform the public that recording is taking place on your property or home. This could be a note through neighbours doors or a sign up on your wall. This will help reduce the number of complaints to you and local authorities about the CCTV cameras.
- It is a good idea to regularly go through the footage and delete any recordings that are not necessary to keep. This will help make it easier for you to find what you need if there was an incident. It also means you are protecting others personal data.
- You can only use your personal CCTV footage to protect your home, family and possessions, nothing else.
- Remember, if there is an incident the police may call on you for your personal CCTV footage to be used as evidence. You need to make sure that your date and time stamps are correct at all times.
If you’d like to know more about the different options of home security solutions or personal CCTV cameras then please contact us. We would be happy to talk with you about ways you can protect your home, valuables and family.